We do not have all the answers because we don’t know what the future holds, but the best thing to do is to become proactive because once change has taken place, you may find yourself unemployable if you are unable to adapt. Technology is and will continue to transform the way we do things, which is the reason why we constantly have to identify new techniques to ensure that we remain marketable by evaluating our skills and exploring different approaches to ensure that we are prepared for whatever comes next.
Commercial awareness, great work ethic, transferable skills, personal/career branding and experience are all key components of employability.
It is very important to understand your value in the marketplace and do what you can to constantly ensure you remain relevant and are equipped with competencies that will help you stay ahead of the curve. Practical things you can do to remain employable include:
- Maintaining comprehensive knowledge and understanding of what employers expect in regards to performance, attitude, and behavior.
- Identifying and developing strategies that will help you obtain skills, experiences, and knowledge, that will contribute to your future employability.
- Reflecting on the learning and experiences you have gained and utilizing them to add value in current and future positions.
- Recognizing that the responsibility for your personal development is on you and not the company you work for, and then find new ways to grow your skills.
- Stepping out of your comfort zone and doing what is needed to advance your competencies.
It is then quite clear that remaining employable is not a one-size-fits-all approach. You need to be aware of how the different economical changes affect various sectors, workplace environments, as well as corporate stability. Identify possible future expectations and do what you can to cater for them while there is still time, then rethink and align your value proposition accordingly.
Take some time and reflect, to determine whether or not you are employable, and if you are not, take action without delay.