Cloud Support Engineer (AWSBIGDATA), Support Engineering
Job ID 69318
Career Level Mid-Level Manager
Experience 5 Years
Qualifications Bachelor's Degree
Please note that this is a fully office based role at our office in Nairobi, Mon – Fri 9am- 6pm
Cloud Support Engineers in the Data in Transit domains support customers who are running ETL workload or analyzing large amounts of data using AWS services. As a part of this team, you will be working on a plethora of services such as Glue(ETL service), Athena(interactive query service), Managed Workflows of Apache Airflow etc.
Understanding of ETL (Extract , Transform , Load) – Creation of ETL Pipelines to extract and Ingest data into data lake/warehouse with simple to medium complexity Data transformations and troubleshooting ETL job issues.
Understanding of Linux and Networking concepts.
Excellent oral and written communication skills with multi-tasking ability.
Master’s degree in Information Science/Information Technology, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field OR Bachelor’s degree in the same with 1+ year of experience OR equivalent experience in a technical position
Key job responsibilities
Intermediate to advanced expertise in ETL tools such as Talend, Informatica or similar.
Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
Advanced SQL and query performance tuning skills.
Experience integrating and managing large data sets from multiple sources
Ability to read and understand Python and Scala code
Understanding of distributed computing environments
Proficient in Spark,Hive and Presto
Experience working with docker
Python, and shell scripting
Customer service experience / strong customer focus
Prior working experience with AWS – any or all of EC2, S3, EBS, Glue, Athena
Experienced with Linux system monitoring and analysis(disk management, memory management, permissions etc.)
Understanding of Networking concepts and protocols(DNS, TCP/IP, DHCP, HTTPS, etc.)
A day in the life
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A LIFE AT AWS?
Every day will bring new and exciting challenges on the job while you:
· Learn and use groundbreaking technologies.
· Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide unique solutions to our customers’ individual needs.
· Interact with leading engineers around the world.
· Partner with Amazon Web Services teams to help reproduce and resolve customer issues.
· Leverage your extensive customer support experience to provide feedback to internal AWS teams on how to improve our services.
· Drive customer communication during critical events.
· Drive projects that improve support-related processes and our customers’ technical support experience.
· Write tutorials, how-to videos, and other technical articles for the developer community.
· Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that may span multiple AWS services.
WHY AWS SUPPORT?
· First and foremost this is a customer support role – in The Cloud.
· On a typical day, a Support Engineer will be primarily responsible for solving customer’s cases through a variety of customer contact channels which include telephone, email, and web/live chat. You will apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide tailored solutions for our customers and drive customer interactions by thoughtfully working with customers to dive deep into the root cause of an issue.
· Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, an AWS Support Engineer may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in new hiring, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives.
· Career development: We promote advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals.
· Training: We have training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role.
We hire smart people who are keen to build a career with AWS, so we are more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven’t been exposed to yet.
· Support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Cape Town, ZAF
– 3+ years of network and operating system support experience
– 3+ years of virtualization, orchestration and cloud computing (eg. Hypervisors, VMware, Xen) experience
– 3+ years of database administration experience
– 3+ years of software development with object oriented language experience
– 3+ years of continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) experience
– 3+ years of information security and compliance experience
– Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent, or 3+ years of technical support experience
– 4+ years of network and operating system support experience
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.